The Man told me yesterday I was a “Cheap-O”, and I responded with, “Not a Cheap-O so much as frugal, darling.” But, deep down inside, I know he is somewhat right – somewhat right, because he is actually never all the way right.
Its true – I don’t buy things for myself that are over $15.00 (for the most part). I spend a ridiculous amount of money on gifts/surprises for my friends and family, and of course The Man. But when it comes to my clothes or shoes or a new book – I have coupons, I shop clearance, I google for the best deals, and I can easily talk myself out of a purchase. Setting a "limit" for myself has helped me stop buying clothes/shoes that I am never going to wear or products I only want because a magazine told me to or because the label says Michael Kors.
Maybe I am a Cheap-O, but not on the things that matter, not for the people that matter to me – I spend the majority of my disposable income on experiences with friends/The Man or on things for my family.
Not “buying” into what fashion magazines and celebrity trends tell us to buy or what to wear has been extremely liberating… not “burn-my-bra” type of liberating, but more of a “what I wear doesn’t define who I am” type of liberating. I like that my priorities have changed, that my consumer buying power is something of value, and that I’m not as materialistic as I was 3 years ago.
"Well its funny how its the
Little things in life that
Mean the most
Not where you live the car
You drive or the price tag on
Your clothes
Theres no dollar sign on a piece of mind
This Ive come to know
So if you agree have a drink with me
Raise you glasses for a toast" - Zac Brown Band
-K
No comments:
Post a Comment